A lip lift is a cosmetic procedure that aims to enhance the appearance of the upper lip. It can be done to correct a number of issues, such as a long upper lip, a less defined cupid's bow, or the effects of aging on the lips. The procedure can be performed using a variety of techniques, and the results can last between 5-10 years on average, leaving patients with lips that highlight their face and make them look more youthful.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the procedure, cost, and results of a lip lift, as well as the reasons why you should consider The Houston Center for Facial Plastic Surgery for your lip lift procedure.
Schedule a Consultation for a Lip Lift Today!
We have three convenient locations throughout Houston, Texas, to schedule a consultation with our facial plastic surgeons for the Lip Lift procedure.
What is a Lip Lift?
As a cosmetic procedure, a lip lift enhances the appearance of the upper lip by shortening the distance between the nose and the upper lip. The skin above the lip is then lifted and removed, and the remaining skin is sutured together to create a more youthful and defined upper lip.
This can be achieved through a variety of techniques, including the bullhorn lip lift and the subnasal lip lift.
- The bullhorn lip lift involves making an incision in the shape of a bullhorn above the upper lip.
- The subnasal lip lift involves making an incision directly under the nose.
The procedure can also be performed in conjunction with other cosmetic procedures such as a nose job or a facelift.
What is the Lip Lift Procedure?
The lip lift procedure is typically performed under local anesthesia or intravenous sedation. The incision is made above the upper lip, either directly under the nose (subnasal) or in the shape of a bullhorn above the lip (bullhorn).
The skin above the lip is then lifted and removed, and the remaining skin is sutured together to create a more youthful and defined upper lip. The procedure takes around 45 minutes to an hour to complete.
How long does a Lip Lift Last?
The longevity of a lip lift can vary, but most patients can expect the results to last for about 5-10 years. However, factors such as skin type, age, and overall health can all impact the longevity of the results.
It's important to note that the effects of aging will continue to happen even after the surgery, so a lip lift is not a permanent solution. Therefore, it’s important to have realistic expectations of the results of the procedure and understand that touch-up procedures may be necessary for the future.
How much does a Lip Lift Cost?
The cost of a lip lift can vary depending on the location and the surgeon performing the procedure, along with the technique used for the procedure. On average, the cost or surgeon fees range from about $2,000 to $8,000, with additional costs for anesthesia and facility fees.
Insurance does not typically cover the cost of a lip lift, because it’s considered a cosmetic procedure. Due to the wide range in cost for a lip lift procedure, it’s imperative that you have a thorough consultation with your surgeon so you are not surprised when you receive the bill after the procedure is completed.
What are the reasons for a Lip Lift procedure?
The reasons for a lip lift procedure vary from person to person, but some of the most common reasons include:
- Aging: As we age, the skin above the upper lip can become looser and less defined, leading to a less youthful appearance.
- Genetics: Some people may be born with a longer upper lip or a less defined cupid's bow.
- Previous lip surgery: A lip lift can be performed to correct or improve the results of previous lip augmentation procedures.
- Facial imbalance: A lip lift can be used to balance the proportions of the upper lip in relation to the rest of the face, creating a more harmonious and symmetrical appearance.
- Desire for a specific look: Some people may choose a lip lift to achieve a certain look or style, such as a more defined cupid's bow or a more prominent upper lip.
- Drooping upper lip: Over time, the skin above the upper lip can stretch and droop, creating a less defined and less youthful appearance. A lip lift can help to lift and tighten this skin, creating a more defined and youthful upper lip.
- Loss of volume: As we age, we may lose volume in our lips, which can make them appear thinner and less defined. A lip lift can help to create the illusion of more volume by making the upper lip appear more pronounced.
What are the typical results of a Lip Lift?
The typical results of a lip lift procedure are aimed at enhancing the appearance of the upper lip, making it look more youthful and defined. The procedure can achieve this by creating a more defined and prominent cupid's bow, a shorter distance between the nose and the upper lip, and a more youthful and defined appearance of the upper lip in general. This can make the lips appear more symmetrical and balanced, which will, in turn, give the face a more attractive and youthful overall appearance.
- More defined cupid’s bow: A more defined cupid’s bow is a typical and highly desired result of a lip lift. The cupid's bow is the double curve located at the center of the upper lip, and it is often considered one of the key features that define the shape of the upper lip.
- Shortened distance between the nose and upper lip: Another intended result of a lip lift is to shorten the distance between the nose and the upper lip. As we age, the skin above the upper lip can stretch and droop, creating a less defined and less youthful appearance.
- Lift and tighten upper lip skin. A lip lift can help to lift and tighten this skin, creating a more defined and youthful upper lip, and also shorten the distance between the nose and the upper lip.
It is important to keep in mind that individual results may vary and that the final outcome may take several weeks or months to fully develop. Factors such as the patient's age, skin type, and overall health, as well as the skill and experience of the surgeon, can all affect the final outcome.
How long is the Recovery Period after a Lip Lift?
The recovery period after a lip lift typically lasts for several weeks, during which time the patient should avoid strenuous activity and keep the incision area clean and dry.
Swelling and bruising are common side effects of the procedure, and pain can usually be managed with over-the-counter medication. After about 72 hours, any swelling and moderate pain tend to subside.
The incision will be covered with a bandage for several days after the procedure, and any sutures will be removed after one week, at which point you should feel comfortable and be able to resume normal activity. It's important to follow your surgeon's post-operative instructions to ensure the best recovery and results.
Why You Should Choose The Houston Center for Facial Plastic Surgery
Choosing the right surgeon for your lip lift procedure is crucial in ensuring the best results. At The Houston Center for Facial Plastic Surgery, we have a team of experienced and skilled surgeons who specialize in lip lift procedures. Our surgeons, Dr. Bradford S. Patt and Dr. Taylor DeBusk, use the latest techniques and technologies to ensure a safe and effective procedure with lasting results.
We also prioritize patient education and work with each individual to create a personalized treatment plan that meets their specific needs and goals. Additionally, our facility is equipped with state-of-the-art technology and staffed by experienced medical professionals to ensure the highest level of patient care.